Feeds / Speeds Best Practice

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
GreggT

Post by GreggT »

Gents;

I don't seem to understand how to efficiently setup feeds/speeds. I have the modifying at the MOPs down, but am wondering how to get this information associated with the tooling so I don't have to modify it every time. Any advice greatly apriciated. TIA

GreggT
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

We can add the feeds/speeds association to the tools for the next release.
Bill Barschdorf

Post by Bill Barschdorf »

That would be a good idea Mecsoft. To have an association of feeds and speeds related to tools, with basic (starting points ) for F&S
Bill Barschdorf

Post by Bill Barschdorf »

What am I missing? Didn't earlier versions e.g. 2.5 or 3.0 have an association between the material, the tool and speeds and feeds etc? I just looked at my V3.0 manual and under F&S there was a selection box for the type of material being machined. It drew from a knowledge based file that gave nominal S&F's when you selected the material. You could use the standard values or edit the file for a different feed per tooth or SFM or cu ft per min etc.

In VM5 the manual (page 58) refers to the same functions which are now accessed via Feeds/Speeds / Load Feeds/Speeds I confess I haven't been using this function - but with a quick play, it seems you can select the material and click on "Copy Computed Values" to get them pasted into the MOP. It doesn't seem to affect plunge, approach, engage or retract rates however.

Maybe Mecsoft can elaborate on what they are proposing in this area for the next release?

Cheers, Peter
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Peter you are right in stating that VisualMill has the ability to customize and/or calculate feeds/speeds based on material and associate these to an operation. However, what some users have been asking for is the ability to associate feeds/speeds values to a tool. This will allow users to load a tool and also at the same time load the associated feeds/speeds values.

We are looking at how best to accomplish this without drastically changing the way we have been doing it. Any ideas on this would be welcome.
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

the flow chart that would be the most accomodating to me would be first inputting the material parameters for the job which will insert the 'ideal' spindle speed, then the diameter of the cutters would apply as a factor to the speed and feed rate.

so, let us say that an 'ideal' spindle speed for cutting aluminum is 200 meters per minute, to compensate for cutter diameter I would:
Spindle RPM = [Ideal Cutting Speed (Meters/Minute) x 1000] / [Diameter of the Cutter (mm) x PI] where PI=3.142

feed rates would need further factoring with ball nose, slot, v and end, and of course number of flutes. the more i think about it, this could be a bit tedius.

now I kinda wing it by sound, machine vibration, and surface finish. took some time to get here however.
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

then there is carbide, hss... oh well.
Initial Image

Post by Initial Image »

This is a feature that I would really like to see added. I cut different unique materials where feeds/speed change drastically.

I am a former Smartcam user and it was set up nice in this area. I could associate different feeds/speeds to my tools and save it to a specific job plan. If I cut a different material, I could have different settings for those tools and save it under a different job plan. Once I started a job, I could pick the appropriate job plan and know that when I picked any given tool the feeds/speeds were already set to what I want.

I think it is a good idea to have feed/speeds associate to chip loads, but I think being able to set them yourself and save them to tools would be an added feature that will help a lot of users.

Jeff
GreggT

Post by GreggT »

It would really be nice to have the Feeds/Speeds linked dirrectly to the tool and to have multiple "profiles" for different materials/situations. So that you could just select AL or SS at the tool and change materials, having the speeds and feeds calculator right there would be supper handy too, instead of having to pull it up seperate.

Having multiple "profiles" would also allow you to tune a tool for a specific operation. Say you want to rough and then finish with the same tool, you could just have "AL Roughing" and "AL Finishing".

GreggT
obwan425

Post by obwan425 »

Multiple profiles would be the hook-up! Would be sweet to break it down long and short,alum and steel, carbide and hss..Man if we keep this up non of us are going to be able to afford this software ;-)

If I had my druthers I would take a contour or z-level re-machine over the tool association..

Greg
GreggT

Post by GreggT »

Features like this should help sell the product which in turn should help keep the price down ;>)))).

GreggT
Happy VM5 User

Post by Happy VM5 User »

Now, with the SP4, feeds are much better, especially 2 1/2 D
Profiling. Transferrate is now correct.
obwan425

Post by obwan425 »

You just keep dreaming..LOL

Greg
GreggT

Post by GreggT »

Attaching the speeds/feeds to tools should be very high on the new feature list or added in as a point release. This is something that really needs to happen and soon. Having to switch speeds/feeds in addition to changing tools is a real drag and time waster, not to mention the catastrophies that occur when you just plain forget to change the speeds/feeds.

GreggT