5.0 Service Pack 2 problem

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Why does the VisualMill 5.0 Service Pack 2 require the removal of the previous install of Visiual Mill 5.0 before it will install?

This means saving any important data folders somewhere else first, uninstalling the previous version, installing the supposed Service Pack, then reinstalling the previously relocated folders!

YIKES! What a hassle!

Will this be true for ALL future Service packs???

Mark L
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Mark,

I also had to uninstall VM5 and then re-install it along with SP2 - but the minor inconvenience has helped fix a number of problems I was experiencing. I was having a LOT of trouble with loading knowledge base files and importing regions (curves) SP2 seems to have fixed that!

Uninstalling doesn't affect your posts folder, and I don't store my work (i.e. .vmp files) under a Mecsoft path so that wasn't affected.

I'm still testing with SP2 but so far, very good...

Cheers, Peter
bludin

Post by bludin »

I only had to uninstall SP1, not the complete VM5, to install SP2. It would be handy to have a history of what's been fixed in SP2 but, like Peter, I have found some significant improvements already. Looking forward to SP3 :-)

[Edited by bludin on 27-Dec-03 03:46]
DareBee

Post by DareBee »

I find this kinda amusing.
I tried to install SP2 and I get an error saying uninstall VisMill.
I had previously read this post so I uninstalled the VM5 SP1 program as mentioned above.
Tried the install again and this time it went past the warning screen and popped open a read-me saying to uninstall SP1 prior to install of SP2.
Once we have gotten this far we have obviously figured this out already!!
Please have all future popup read-me files open BEFORE the error happens.

Derek
bludin

Post by bludin »

Yep. I was rather amused by this, too.