All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
GeorgeMay

Post by GeorgeMay »

Here are few things that are "bugging" me:

Is there a way to place toolpath ABOVE region line like VM4 had?
In VM4 I set the top, bottom, step and ready to generate. Now if I set Top field higher than the depth of the cut I am greeted with cold looking message saying something about internal algorithm problem :o)

Try to enter in the Cut Levels; Total Cut Depth following value without leading zero: .1234 and see what you get.

Sliders, ... hmm do we really need them? We can set more precise value by typing it. And we can set it faster too.

I have really missed the ability to drag curves up and down in the Geometry tab. I needed it to position curves setting the cutting order.

The letter enclosed with the VM5 Upgrade said that after registering VM5 I will not be able to use VM4 anymore. That's too bad. Because I cannot use VM5 either. And this is just the first simple cutting job I was trying to accomplish. If I go on I am sure I will find more "improvements" over VM4

And the last question:
What the heck the Beta testers were doing all the time? In no doubt the programmers did the great job, but someone who actually using VM and not "playing" with it could help to define that great product.
windsor

Post by windsor »

I spent a few hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong while trying to explore VM5 and do an engraving toolpath that kept plunging at the end of the cut . I finally sent the file to support and was told that it was a bug that would be fixed in the next service release . -----Perhaps mecsoft could post a list of known bugs between service releases to save the users and support a lot of time . ----I'm still going back to 4 when I haven't got the time to figure out how to do something in 5 , you just have to change the dongle i.d. numbers at the start up screen back to the ones you got with 4 . ---when you use 5 again you have to do it again .
GeorgeMay

Post by GeorgeMay »

It would be nice to have the same key for both versions at least for a month or so to ease the transition.
George
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

You can use both VM4 and VM5 using the same dongle. First thing to do is to write down the license codes for VM4 as well as VM5. Then you will have to enter the correct codes in the registration dialog each time you want to run the corresponding version.

MecSoft Support
GeorgeMay

Post by GeorgeMay »

Thanks for response MECSoft!

I am a little dissapointed right now, my VM5 is in the drawer sice I cannot using it at all. At least right now. I had to uninstall it. RhinoCam plug in once asked which version of VM I would like to use. When I opted for version 5, I no longer could send any rhino drawings to version 4 anymore. So the solution was easy... uninstall version 5.

My main question was how I could place toolpath ABOVE the curves. my any attempt ended with error message. To better understand my problem here is a little example http://www.hsweb.net/toolpath.gif

In VM4 it was easy.
1. In the Geometry I had to pick my curve (Regions2 in my example)
2. then set the stock (program automatically assign thickness to 1")
3. Pick the toool
4. In "Cut Levels" set the "Top" to 1"
5. and the "Distance" field set to .1

This gave me the toolpath starting from top of the stock and ending right on the curve (called Regions2) I do not have to even know how high the curve was located.

How do I do that in VM5?
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

In VM5 also it is similar,

1. In the Geometry I had to pick my curve (Regions2 in my example)
2. then set the stock (program automatically assign thickness to 1")
3. Pick the toool
4. In "Cut Levels" set the "Top" to 1"
5. set the rough depth to be 1
6. Set the rough depth/cut to be 0.1

The top for profiling had a bug and it is fixed and will be available in the service pack
GeorgeMay

Post by GeorgeMay »

Thanks,
OK we are getting there. SP1 fixed a lot of features but I still missed total control of VM4 2.5 profiling.

In VM4 in above example if I deliberately omit "bottom" field - it will generate toolpath going not deeper than the line it follows.

In VM5 actually I have to measure how deep the line is and enter it in "Total Cut Depth" field in order to get the same result.

The example you gave me VM5 generated toolpath all the way to the bottom of the piece and this is not what I wanted.

If you would like to improve profiling then there is something to consider. The ability of Z axis to follow the line. If the line goes deeper into the material Z axis will follow it unless we override it with "bottom" value

Another thing to consider is finish cuts in profiling. I think if we are cutting out some figure then roughing cuts should be slightly away from the line. Finish cut would be at full depth but closer to the line isn't it?
What is the purpose of finish cuts now?

George
GeorgeMay

Post by GeorgeMay »

Hi all,

I am looking around, what other users find out about VM5.
In the 2,5D-mops I think it is more complicate to use them.
In VM4, if I had to make a finish cut, I copied the mop and made new settings. So I was sure I have made a finish cut, if I want one.
Normaly I have to chache the tool for a finishcut.

In VM5 I have to look about too much settings for this simple profiling job.

What realy would help:
For the settings of top or bottom of a cut, I need to pick it from the part or regions. This would make it very easy to setup a mop.
Not calculate or measure outside the mopsetup.
This should work on all MOPs.

Best Regards
Peter
GeorgeMay

Post by GeorgeMay »

George,

Have you tried using Horizontal Finishing under 3 Axis Milling? Your comments re 2.5 Profiling are still valid, I'm sure - but as a work around, try using 3 Axis Horiz Finishing. I've just completed a big job this way and have found greater ease (than in V4) in creating regions and then using Horiz Fin. to get a really good result. I realise my machining time may have taken longer than 2.5 Profiling and I haven't tried 2.5 Profiling in V5 yet, but I got an excellent result, pretty quickly and with good tool path configurability. Hope this helps,

Cheers, Peter
GeorgeMay

Post by GeorgeMay »

Thanks Peter for suggestion,
That would never work for me. I use radius bit to cut perimeter of the part. It takes about 10 minutes to do it. Horizontal Finishing would run I think close to 8 hours if not more. I am using Horizontal Finishing for all other 3D work, so far it is excellent.
George