Single line fonts

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
wabecomilluser

Single line fonts

Post by wabecomilluser »

I have been asked to engrave names on alloy. When I looked at all the various fonts to chose from. They all seemed to be double line fonts. I tried the single line font button but this still kept the font double and showed missing lines.
I would be greatful for some advise.
Also if I were to chose a double line font and use the v- carving function how do I work out the depth of cut baring in mind that the width of the letter may very.
Thanks in advance.
I have Visualmill 6 standard.

John.
megclay

Re: Single line fonts

Post by megclay »

some single line fonts
http://www.mrrace.com/CamBam_Fonts/
Never done v-carving maybe someone can help on that
Megclay
wabecomilluser

Post by wabecomilluser »

Many thanks for that. I have added those stick fonts to the Text list and will give them a try.

I would still be interested in hereing from mecsoft regarding selecting correct depth of cut for engraving text in v- carving.
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

We have developed a single stroke font that can be used with VisualMILL.
Download the attached zip file to your pc. Unzip and copy MecSoft_Font_1.ttf to C:\Windows\Fonts folder.
Load VisualCAM 1.0 Select MecSoft_Font_1 from the list of fonts and select Allow single line fonts.

With the V-carving operation the depth varies based on the tool and the curves selected as machining features. The unique feature of this type of toolpath is that the V-cutter creates a chiseled look at the corners by moving the cutter tangent to both converging sides of the corner. A typical V-carve finishing toolpath is shown below. Here the inside of the letter T is being machined with a V cutter. Notice that the cutter path at the corners of the geometry actually is coincident with the geometry, while further away from the corner it moves down in Z. This feature of the toolpath is what causes the cutter to create a chiseled look at these corners as the simulation picture illustrates.
Hope this helps.
Attachments
V-Carving.JPG
V-Carving.JPG (36.65 KiB) Viewed 19911 times
MecSoft_Font-1.zip
(10.03 KiB) Downloaded 1589 times
wabecomilluser

Post by wabecomilluser »

Thanks Mecsoft for the single line folt to add to the windows font folder.

Regarding the V carving toolpath. I understand its function and that the depth varies, but in the cut perameters tab it asks for a total depth of cut. My original question was how to you work out the total cutting depth according to the size of the lettering to be v carved, bearing also in mind and the taper angle cutter that is been used.
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

You can just specify a large Z depth if you are not unsure of the depth and the system will compute the correct depth where the cutter is in contact on both sides.
wabecomilluser

Post by wabecomilluser »

Thank you ,that answers my question perfectly.