Drawing Tools - Ortho Snap, and offset?

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
GreggT

Post by GreggT »

Can somebody explain to me how to predict the dirrection of offseting. I am trying to offset a simple line entitity and it is throwing the result off at an angle from my work plain (different Z in this case), the line does not endup on my current work plain? Both endpoints of the parent line are at the same Z level?

Also what is going on with Ortho Snap? It doesn't seem to line up with anything? It sure doesn't allow you to draw on the work plane. Is there a trick to getting this to work like a normal CAD program would have it work. I just need to draw a couple of line perp to a couple other lines on my work plane.

Where and how do you report bugs? With other software there is normally a seperate forum or repository of some kind so that people aren't reporting the same bugs over and over?

GreggT
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

GreggT,

Offseting always occurs to the left of the curve. To offset to the other side use a negative number for the offset value or use the cursor to pick a point on the side of the offset. Also offseting is done on the plane of the entity and not on the WCS or the Grid.

Ortho snap is used to make sure successive points are always along the orthogonal directions on the construction grid. I am not sure what exactly is the problem. Call our support lines and talk to Kal or Nick about this.

As far as reporting bugs you can send it to [email protected]
This way it will get entered into our system.
Happy VM5 User

Post by Happy VM5 User »

One more question to CAD:
Sometimes I get DXF files from customers, in which endpoints of curves look like connected, but if you zoom far into endpoints, they
are separated and have distance of say 0.003 mm.
This is to much to make correct toolpaths sometimes.
When I want to measure Distance of two points, I go with cursor
to ENDPOINT (engaged) and system finds first, but I´m not shure, whether I then pick exactly the next of the other curve, or the same (in this case, distance is zero, and I believe curves are connected, although there is little distance).

For example in Rhino, when points are connected, it does not find second point, and I know, there is only one.
Better in CADKEY, line from first endpoint is highlighted, and when I go to next curve, this one is highlighted, so system says distance is
zero or even 0.003 (called SmartCursor)
Q.: How can I be shure, to find both points in VM5 ?

Thank you,
Robert

[Edited by Happy VM5 User on 09-May-04 13:03]