VM surface creation and crunch time

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
Initial Image

Post by Initial Image »

I've got a part I'm working on that I've created a lot of surfaces in VisualMill to block off areas I don't want the cutter to go. They all consist of surfaces from two curves. I didn't have any trouble creating the geometry or the surfaces. Many of them curve to follow contours of the part.

Here is where the problem lies. Everything looks great, but the crunch time on the toolpath is unbelievably long. If I use the same parameters without those surfaces, the toolpath is created extremely quickly. I tried to take all my regions and export them to create my surfaces in Rhino and then try bringing them back in. Guess what, I can go from Rhino to VM, but not the other way around.

What is it about the surfaces created that makes them so hard to calculate? Is there anyway to fix this problem?

Jeff
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Hi Jeff,

Make sure the faceting tolerance is set to an acceptable level in VisualMill before you create the surfaces in VM. VM after creating surfaces goes through a faceting process and it uses the value set in the Menu -> Preferences -> Tolerances -> Part Faceting Tolerances for creating the facets to machine. The tighter this tolerance the more facets that will be created and consequently more time it would take to machine.