A machine shop question.

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
Bill Barschdorf

A machine shop question.

Post by Bill Barschdorf »

A machine shop question.

Hey all,

Sorry this is not a direct VM question but I’m wondering if you guys might help out with some info. I am a toy sculptor, model maker, and toy inventor for the toy industry. 98% of all my work is done digitally and run on CNC. All of my work is very small scale, think of a 6 inch toy action figure. This is the typical scale I work in. So all my machining it really really small stuff. I usually run most parts / sculpts or models down to a .053 - .03125 ball end mill with a .002 step over. Then do some pencil tracing to hit the fine line work.
You can see some of my work in the VM case studies, my name is Bill Barschdorf.

Anyways I am looking for a way to shank down small end mills and dremel bits. I always have issues with LOC on end mills. Since I am running my stuff with such small end mills. You just cant find what I need, with a long loc. Unless you have them made custom, and buddy they are not cheep. My ideal end mill would be a .030 - .020 ball 1 inch LOC. YA Right!! Maybe in space, and in my dreams.

So my question is this. Dose anyone know of a tool post grinder (if this is what I need ) that will mount to a shirline lath. OR retro to a shirline or a stand alone bench top machine. So I can shank down the ends of the dremel cutters. I am only talking about making the shank smaller in diameter, not actually cutting the cutting edge. Also how would I be able to do this on Carbide end mills. I have tried many things but cant figure out how to grind down carbide.

One thing I have tried is, I made a mounting plate that I have attached my dermal tool into. Then proceed to cut it down in this manner.

Dose anyone have any info on how I can do this better. Or where I might find a small version of a tool post grinder.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Initial Image

A machine shop question.

Post by Initial Image »

How much do you want to spend to achieve what you're after?

I recommend the following:
www.cuttermaster.com

These are made to actually re-sharpen end mills, etc. but I use one just for relieving shanks on my end mills. Works great and I know two others that use the same grinder for doing the same thing I do. I picked mine up off of ebay and saved some money. They aren't cheap, but pay for themselves rather quickly.

As far as carbide goes on this grinder, you have to get the right wheel to do it and they cost just under $200.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
jeffrey

A machine shop question.

Post by jeffrey »

Hi Bill

Love your work!

Here's an idea for you, something that I do. As a jewelry maker, I use lots of jewelry burs in my flex shaft, and you can buy a ball bur down to .25 mm in packs of 6 for just a few dollars. They all come with 3/32 shanks so I bought a 1/8th 3/32 adapter from Gesswein for $27. Now I can use all my jewelry burs in my milling machine. I also purchased my own cutter grinder for $1500 (found it used through the Internet) and now I can grind all my fine point and low angle cutters (like a .05 mm tip at 6 degree half angle).

Jeffrey Everett
Bill Barschdorf

A machine shop question.

Post by Bill Barschdorf »

Hey guys thanks much for the info, I will chekck it out. And thankd for the suport.