Lost File

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
Initial Image

Lost File

Post by Initial Image »

I save frequently when working in order to not lose data in the event of a crash. I worked on a file for quite some time saving periodically. I saved just as I normally do and the program crashed. Now it won't open the file. I open up VM and when I try to open that file, I get an error message and it dumps out. Does this happen often?

I'm working on my first project using VM and I'm under the gun. This needless to say is quite a drawback for me since I just had to redo all my work from earlier. It was going to be a late night anyway, now it will just be longer.

Jeff
Initial Image

Lost File

Post by Initial Image »

Hi Jeff,

Thankfully, what you describe happens rarely. You were doing (almost) the right thing. VM5 is now very stable, but there are still potential gotchas that may crash a file - although I haven't personally found any since SP3. In both my CAD software and VM, I periodically save the file with a number at the end and at least each hour or so, - or if I'm going to try something ambitious, I do a "save as" and increment the number at the end of the file. That way I can recover most of my work - if I screw up. Also, if you are trying something new - particularly when you are learning VM, try it first on a test file. In any event you were unlucky - try sending the file to Mecsoft - just maybe, they can help.

Cheers, Peter
Initial Image

Lost File

Post by Initial Image »

I just had it happen again. At least this time I had another file saved with a different designation. I haven't had time, but I need to send the files to Mecsoft technical support and see what they can come up with. Hopefully we can work on this issue once I get this project out the door.

Jeff
Initial Image

Lost File

Post by Initial Image »

I'm finding that it happens when I merge two files together and then save. Sometimes it crashes when I save and then the file is gone, or I'm able to save and then it won't open up. I'll share any findings Mecsoft and I come up with here in this thread.
Initial Image

Lost File

Post by Initial Image »

Has anyone run into this before. I have two files that I have to merge, but it crashes. It is either some sort of bug, or I need to change a setting somewhere. If anyone knows the way to fix this, please post the solution on this thread. I'm sol right now.

Jeff
MecSoft Support

Lost File

Post by MecSoft Support »

Hi all,

Jeff found a bug when merging vmp files together which have two different layer tables. This has been fixed internally and will show up in Service Pack 4. And before you ask, SP4 should be out by 19th of March.

MecSoft Support
Initial Image

Lost File

Post by Initial Image »

I wish I hadn't found it during a major crunch, but I was able to finally figure a way around the problem I was experiencing. Thank you for your quick response this morning and for taking care of your customers when they are in need.

Jeff
bludin

Lost File

Post by bludin »

>And before you ask, SP4 should be out by 19th of March.

Ten, nine, eight,..., drool... B-)