BEEP!

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
bludin

BEEP!

Post by bludin »

VM has a small bug that can get pretty annoying when working on files late at home: when aborting a function by hitting ESC or sometimes also when an error occurs, VM responds with a beep at max volume. This seems to go directly to the system beeper, bypassing any volume settings, so muting it is impossible. Even when I have my earphones connected, which usually mutes all other sound output, this one still makes it through to the system beeper. This is been there in VM4 and is still there in VM5. It's not something fancy or mission critical, but I'd still be grateful if it could be fixed.

Beat
MecSoft Support

BEEP!

Post by MecSoft Support »

Beat,

I wish all the bugs that we needed to fix were as simple as this. We will get this on in our next SP (4)

-- MecSoft Support
dbuffo

BEEP!

Post by dbuffo »

I also noticed that the loud beep in VM4 came directly from the internal PC speaker. However, in VM5 it now goes through my normal powered PC speakers connected to my sound card. I turn the sound to low and it doesn't bother me so much anymore. I know it sounds frivolous, but it would be nice if we could change the volume of that beep within VM or even better, change the beep to another sound of our choosing.
Thanks.
bludin

BEEP!

Post by bludin »

Just wanted to let you know that the annoying beep is still there in VM5SP5...

Beat
DareBee

BEEP!

Post by DareBee »

Maybe MecSoft could change the beep sound (any sounds they want for that matter) to use the Windows "default beep" therefore sounds and sound levels are consitent with system settings.
GreggT

BEEP!

Post by GreggT »

I'm wondering about the beep on shut down? Is this some sort of error warning beep?

GreggT
MecSoft Support

BEEP!

Oh, we knew this would come up! Okay, here goes. We looked at using the system sounds that Windows comes with. However this meant that we had to include a system library thereby increasing the size of the VisualMill executable. I am sure there is a better way of doing it but due to other priorities we decided to drop this for now. We will get to it one of these days and so hang in there. We appreciate your patience.
bludin

BEEP!

Post by bludin »

Hey, I know how you can do it without including an additional library: just make it a preference setting so the user can choose whether s/he wants an acoustic feedback or not. The impact that the inclusion of another checkbox and a couple of if..then statements in the code will have on the size of the executable should be bearable :-)

Cheers, Beat
MecSoft Support

BEEP!

Beat,

We were investigating playing windows wav files instead of the sytem beep function. These could be controlled by changing your speaker volume control. This I believe require additional libraries, unless I am totally misinformed.
BJMAUCH

BEEP!

Post by BJMAUCH »

Dear service programmers, The function named "MessageBeep" does not require any additional libraries and it plays beeps through the standard windows interface so it is affected by the volume controls and mute.
I hope this helps.
BJM
MecSoft Support

BEEP!

Okay, BJM, I will pass it on to Dev. Thanks for the info. Great to get programming advice from our users :)