Key commands

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
bludin

Key commands

Post by bludin »

The possibility in VM5 to assign keys to commands could be a real time saver. But how can I assign keys to the many commands that are only available from toolbars and not from menus?

Beat
leo

Key commands

Post by leo »

Hi,

I think this is already implemented.

Go to menu Preferences --> Customize..
When the customize dialog is opened choose the Keyboard page.
The toolbars are accessible by category.
Choose the command in the actual category and press cntrl,shift , alt or which ever key you want to assign for the purpose.
Then choose Assign button to assign this keyboard shortcut to the command
Leo

[Edited by leo on 09-Jan-04 22:57]
bludin

Key commands

Post by bludin »

Unfortunately, the toolbars are not listed in the category list of the keyboard tab, only the menus are (version VM5.0.2.0). You can assign a key to a toolbar to hide or show it, but not to individual commands.

Beat
leo

Key commands

Post by leo »

Hi,

Find the category including the command you want to shortcut
Mark the command you want to shortcut in commands listing
Click the area for text input with the left mouse click under the text –Press new shortcut key
Press the keys you want to assign on the keyboard- you will see them there
The assign bottom will be activated
Press the assign button
Close the dialog and test.

Isn't this you mean?
--OK - I couldn't find the geometri commands but the other ones.
Leo

[Edited by leo on 10-Jan-04 05:12]
bludin

Key commands

Post by bludin »

Exactly, Leo, the geometry commands are missing ...and the selection tools, the simulation commands, the tool path editor tools, many functions of the main toolbar (e.g. selection masks, layer manager) etc.. Basically, most of the functions the are needed frequently are found in toolbars (logical, isn't it), but many of them lack a menu item and thus you can't assign a key to them. The problem seems to be that VM doesn't adhere to the general GUI design rule that all commands must be accessible through the menus, and unfortunately, customization of menus hasn't been implemented either.

Beat

PS: Just to have it said: VM is a great program, particularly when taking the price into account. It's not my intention to make it look otherwise. It just has a number of rough edges which should be ironed out.

[Edited by bludin on 12-Jan-04 05:28]