Rigid Tapping & tool setup

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
DareBee

Post by DareBee »

Lets start by saying we are new (about 4 months)to CNC & CAM and I honestly believe that VisualMill has to be about the best bang for your buck software to be had. I am an experienced SolidWorks user and am familier with high cost (initial purchase & maintenance fees) although I would never give it up. I researched CAM software and made a lot of phone calls for a couple of months before we purchased VM and have been extremely pleased with the product and the support.

I will always have suggestions and comments though.
In VM4 under drilling ops I thought there was a greyed out "rigid Tap" radio button. I had myself fairly convinced that VM5 would see that functionality completed and available for use. I was quite disappointed when it was gone altogether. My machine is a Fadal with 88HS control. Is there any chance that anybody has something put together (in a Post maybe) that will allow me to use my rigid tap board. It would really mean a lot to me.
In regards to the tool set up, specifically the center drill. I find this one very difficult to use as is.
My first thought is. Centre drills are manufactured on world standard data (all dimensions available in machinerys Handbook) Why not save us all some time and give us a standard PICK LIST?
Other than that the tip length, taper angle, & flute length are difficult to work with(measure).
Tip length would be easiest measured up the straight side of the tip length from the end of the tip angle to the start of the taper angle.
Taper angle is most always given from the manufacturers as an included angle why not input the same way? (although a centerdrill is ALWAYS 60 degrees or it WOULDNT be a Centredrill).
Flute length would be easiest measured up the straight OD from the end of the Taper Angle to the end of the cutting flute.
A programmer sitting at their desk with a scale or vernier could accurately enough input the tool data if changed to this method. The way it is now you need to have tool setting holder and height gauge to be accurate on tool configuration. This costs us time and time is money so instead of doing it accurately it just gets "winged" and hope it's good enough.
This would be good for all "pointed" tool creation.
I was also wondering what is the point of asking for cutter material and number of flutes?
If you were to add a pick box for "common" material to be cut and have VM5 use this data to calculate a basic feed and speed setup from this, that would be "CATS ASS"

THANKS
DEREK
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Hi Derek,

Regarding your Rigid Tapping issue, you can use the User Defined Tap1 cycle in the Tapping machining method and have the post do the right thing for you when it encounters this method. This should be relatively easy to set up.

Regarding your other enhancement requests, we will look at them and see if there is anything we could do in the short term.

Thanks for your input.
DareBee

Post by DareBee »

I am new to CNC and CAM.
Any chance you would consider baby stepping me through a possible rigid tap post set up.

Derek
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

Sure, please email us all the details of the rigid tap cycle and a couple of sample rigid tap programs that work on your machine to [email protected] and we can customize the post for you. Also, please send us the post you are using (Fadal.spm).
DareBee

Post by DareBee »

The only info I have is from the Fadal manual. I also have no sample programs as I have never used the Rigid Tap because I Dont know how?
This is why I am requesting HELP!

Fadal.spm does work on my machine as long as change IJKR to Rad only.

Copied from Fadal.com manuals section.

Rigid tapping may be accomplished for right or left hand threads. The rigid
tapping cycles are programmed in the same manner as the compression tap
holders. The taps may be held in a collet or solid tool holder.
Note: Rigid tapping requires a special drive for operation. The machine must
also have a C axis controller for the spindle. In the back panel of the VMC,
the spindle driver should be labeled with Horsepower and Rigid Tap. If the
VMC only has a Horsepower label, it does not have Rigid Tap. Please refer
to the VMC Maintenance Manual for further information.
Note: 10,000 rpm spindle 3,000 rpm max, 7,500 rpm spindle 1,500 rpm
max, 15,000 rpm spindle 3,000 rpm max.
The program codes for rigid tapping are G74.1, G74.2, G84.1, and G84.2. The
G74.1 and G84.1 are coded the same as G74 and G84. Prior to beginning thetapping cycle, the machine prepares the spindle. This is an automatic process
accomplished by four revolutions of the spindle. The preparation is done after
the H offset is applied and just before the cycle begins. The use of the G74.2 or
G84.2 prepares the cycle for execution during the H offset application.
The machine uses the low range for tapping at 750 rpm and below. When the
rpm is above 751 the machine uses the high range. When using the G84.2 or
G74.2, and the programmed rpm is above 750, the S#.2 should be used on the
initial spindle speed call. This sets the proper belt range for the cycle
preparation. The G84.1 and G74.1 automatically set the proper range for
preparation. The G74.1 and G84.1 automatically release the spindle
orientation lock. The rpm specified, before and after the H word must be the
same.
The Gain parameter setting (in SETP) is used to adjust the spindle speed and
feed rate correlation. The gain may be set from 0 to 255. Please contact your
dealer or refer to the VMC maintenance manual for further information.
The Ramp parameter setting (in SETP) is used to adjust the acceleration time
of the spindle. The ramp may be set from 0 to 100. The higher the ramp
number, the longer the time for acceleration.
EXAMPLE: N52 G0 G90 S.2 M5 G80 M90 Do not turn the spindle on!
N53 G84.2
N54 H1 M7 Z.4
N55 G84.1 G99 R0+.4 Z-.3 F2000.2 Q.05 X0 Y0
N56 X1.
N57 G80
EXAMPLE: N52 G0 G90 S2000.2 M5 G80 M90 Do not turn the spindle on!
N53 G84.2
N54 H1 M7 Z.4
N55 G84.1 G99 R0+.4 Z-.3 S2000.2 F100. X0 Y0
100% feed calculation here
N56 X1.
N57 G80