Fast Text From ACAD

Find or post tips and tricks on using VisualMILL/RhinoCAM
BJMAUCH

Fast Text From ACAD

Post by BJMAUCH »

I use Autocad lite for my 2D drawing. When the part is milled a text identifier needs to be milled into the mold. Although several methods are available to place text in VM they all use multi-line letters. I wanted to use simple letters that would take minimum time to cut, but ACAD would not output text as lines.
One way to get the result I wanted is to place the text using the txt font in a blank drawing and then save the file as type .WMF. When this file is then inserted into the part drawing it is the text drawn with lines, (you may need to explode it and delete the solid that is sometimes output).
Now you can read the reagions for the part in VM and engrave the text with one single line drawing of each letter. (Three times faster cutting that the outline text, at 1/2 IPM in steel this is a lot!!)
GreggT

Fast Text From ACAD

Post by GreggT »

Excellent tip thanks.

GreggT
DareBee

Fast Text From ACAD

Post by DareBee »

Thanks I've been trying to do this for months.
Maybe Mecsoft can give us a single line text font within VM as I usually create my engraving text from within VM.
SmokeDaddy

Fast Text From ACAD

Post by SmokeDaddy »

Just to clarify, for those not familiar with AutoCAD (just as I'm not with CNCing or RhinoCAM) you use the EXPORT command in AutoCAD and then select the Files as Type (if necessary) to save as a .WMF file. If you want to use the newly created text (.WMF file) in a new drawing, select INSERT from the pulldown menu at the top of the screen and click on Windows MetaFile. Then navigate to the directory (folder) where you saved the .WMF file and select it. After you place the .WMF file in the new drawing, use the explode command to make the text into individual entities.

-SD:

[Edited by SmokeDaddy on 09-Oct-05 19:24]