Multiple Rhino crashes when running simulations

All topics related to RhinoCAM

Multiple Rhino crashes when running simulations

Post by 1385506186 »

I've had multiple Rhino crashes when trying to run RhinoCAM simulations.

It seems to have started with the latest upgrade to version 5.0.0.40.

I've reported the crashes to McNeel but haven't had any response (usually they just say it a RhinoCAM plugin problem and forward the report).

I haven't been able to detect a pattern to the crashes (other than it is after I press the simulate button).

Is anyone else having problems?

Thanks,
John

Re: Multiple Rhino crashes when running simulations

Post by 1385506186 »

I found a way to repeat the crashes.

1. Start a simulation

2. Press the "Pause" button

3. Press the "To End" button--this causes Rhino to crash

I've tried it on a couple of files and it always causes a crash (at least with my setup)

John
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

As we have not been able to duplicate the crash with the steps provided below with both Voxel and Polygonal simulation models in RhinoCAM, it looks like display related issue.
Can you please check if you have Use accelerated hardware modes selected in Rhino? This is under Tools - Options- View - OpenGL
Please also try updating your display drivers by visiting your display card manufactures website & then see if this resolves the crash.
Some of the display related problems can be resolved by using one of the Basic & High Contrast themes under Windows 7.
Open Control Panel->Appearance and Personalization. Click Windows color & appearance or select change the theme. Select Windows 7 Basic under basic & high contrast themes.
If the issue still persists, please give us a call and we can take a look at your screen to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Post by 1385506186 »

Updating my display driver fixed the problem.
TAMAS

Post by TAMAS »

I have the same problem on and off. The display driver update may not be the problem. I had to go back with the driver few months because nVidia screwed up all the last 2-3 drivers for the Quadro notebook. Currently using 345.20 and I will update only when the update comes within Windows update. I'm sure that there is not much change in the updates when it comes to CAD/CAM, normally they do updates for game monkeys. My laptop has Intel built in graphics and designated 2000M Quadro. Problem could be that the RCad is openGl and the RCam simulation is directX. The crash seems to happen by switching between them. Used to be so bad that the aero would change to basic.
MecSoft Support

Post by MecSoft Support »

In RhinoCAM you can also try changing your Simulation Preferences:
1. From the Simulation tab, select Preferences
2. From the dialog, select Voxel Model under Simulation Model.
3. Under Simulation Accuracy, move the slider to Standard.
4. Pick OK.
5. If a message displays to delete the in-process Stock model, pick OK.
6. Select the operations and pick Play to run the simulation.

Post by 1385506186 »

At one time I thought that updating my display driver fixed my problem, but that is not the case. I still get crashes when running simulations on my machine. I've pretty much given up trying to get a fix since the answer from Mecsoft is always "not able to duplicate the crash". This is understandable since I have a unusual setup (Mac Pro running Windows 7 under Bootcamp), but what I still can't understand: Why is it that the RhinoCAM simulation is the only application/Rhino Plugin that regularly crashes on my machine?