Multi core toolpath generation

All topics related to RhinoCAM

Multi core toolpath generation

Post by 1109847118 »

Hi,

I'm wondering why my processor is only use 8% of his power to generate the toolpath or simulate the model.

Can we get it to 100% ?

Joeri
Attachments
rhinocam multi.jpg
rhinocam multi.jpg (610.98 KiB) Viewed 11212 times
MecSoft Support

Re: Multi core toolpath generation

Post by MecSoft Support »

Hello,

We really do not have any control on how the system allocates threads (multi-threading) or processor band-with to perform a computation. What we do when we use multi-threading is to create a single thread for each toolpath computation and let the system perform the allocation of the thread to empty processors. It is the operating system's responsibility to do this because only it is aware of any other additional processes running on your system. Hope this helps.

Post by 1384986994 »

Hi Joeri,

Just wondering if you have found a solution to the multi-thread. We have a lot of 8 Core machines and have noticed the same thing. Is there a way to tell the processors multi-thread or hyperthread on these tasks? Maybe a registry entry?

Thanks,

-Brandon
Chris.Botha

Post by Chris.Botha »

I might be wrong here, but my understanding is that multicore operations mean one core per operation, not multiple cores per operation...

FWIW I found the that a series of 16 indexes (22.5' steps around A) concatenated around a ring, instead of a 4th axis rotary path calculated massively faster, (minutes compare to hours) and with a better surface finish. this speed increase is now redoubled or quadrupled again since the multipart index can be calculated together at once... (i swap in the method as a ready made file and simply dump my geometry into it, cagedit the target planes to suit and hit recalculate

that aside my question to the developers is this.. why not break up a known path into the known number of available cores at button press, then have multiple cores calculate each segment to be stitched together after? I realise this might mean some overlap or underlap at the seams but i cannot imagine this being major issue?

Things like rotary 4th axis are very slow to calculate at high intol/outol over complex surfaces required by jewellers.. can take upwards of 2 to 3 hours in some cases..

my 0.02c :)
Wine me, dine me, tram my mill for me!

Post by 1384986994 »

Chris,

Based on my limited understanding of Coding/Developing, I think you are right. It may be a big job on the developers end, but it seems the operations could be split for processing, then re-joined after.

-Brandon