Need Help with Pockets on tapered shaft

All discussion related to the VisualCAD/CAM standalone product.
KentKeller

Need Help with Pockets on tapered shaft

Post by KentKeller »

Can someone tell me the best way to go about machining out the letters in this part
Letters.jpg
Letters.jpg (31.82 KiB) Viewed 7111 times
I tried using the 4th axis projection pocketing and carefully selecting each and every vector at the bottom of the letters.(very time consuming) Initially it would not do the 2 so I had to go back to the other cad system and make the text a few thou bigger, re import it and start over.

Anyhow even though the simulation didn't look all that great, I decided to go ahead and try it.
This is what I got. Why are the letters mirrored and what tool or settings do I use to get decent cuts.
Letter cut.jpg
Letter cut.jpg (33.06 KiB) Viewed 7111 times
MecSoft Support

Re: Need Help with Pockets on tapered shaft

Post by MecSoft Support »

You seem to have chosen the correct method to cut the letters using 4 axis projection pocketing. To make the selection of machining regions easier, you can use create surface boundary command found under the Curves tab in VisualCAD's ribbon bar to extract curve from the surface geometry. You can then select this curve around the text as machining region to program the toolpath.

In some cases where the machined part is mirror of what is programmed, reversing the sign for scale factor under angle value in the Multi axis motion tab in your post processor from 57.29 to -57.29 would correct this issue. If the problem still persists, please send us the part file and a copy of the post processor you are currently using so we could take a look at it.